Let us help you motivate your students to grow and learn through the pursuit of their artistic goals! The 31st Annual Artistic Competition for Exceptional Students (ACES) recognizes local 6th – 12th grade students in the River Region who display talent in the musical or visual / performing arts.
Let us help you motivate your students to grow and learn through the pursuit of their artistic goals! The 31st Annual Artistic Competition for Exceptional Students (ACES) recognizes local 6th – 12th grade students in the River Region (Montgomery, Elmore, Autauga Counties) who display talent in the musical or visual / performing arts. Artistic training deserves special recognition and support; help us encourage a community-wide understanding that the arts are essential to our children!
The competition is held at The Armory Learning Arts Center, 1018 Madison Avenue, Montgomery, AL 36104. Parking is on both sides of The Armory. Enter by Hilliard Street and park between The Armory and Curb Market or turn in and park between Cramton Bowl and The Armory. Parking is also at the back of the building, accessible from either side.
Entry fees and guidelines:
- Students may register for more than one category. Registration must be done online. $10 for one category, $15 for two categories, $20 for three or more categories. Entry fees are non-refundable. We understand schedule conflicts arise, but we budget and prepare for the number we have registered. We reserve the right to change categories if necessary, to accommodate the program. At least 10 students must pre-register for the category to be held (participants will be notified and refunds will be issued in the event of category cancelation).
- As a participant of this program, your name / photograph may be used in publicity at the discretion of the Arts Council.
- Each category is juried by three notable judges; judges’ decisions are final. Visual art is judged prior to event date; all other categories audition in person on the day of the event.
Visual / Performing:
- Acting / Theatre: Perform 2 contrasting monologues (one dramatic and one comedic) not to exceed 3 minutes. Must bring 3 additional photocopies of monologues for judges.
- Dance: Perform a dance 1-3 minute piece of any style; may bring a CD or device with USB cord to be used with our sound system.
- Visual Art: a 2-D or 3-D matted or presentation-ready (1) artwork. Indicate name, grade, medium, and title on the back of the submission in the direction it is to hang. Visual art category will be judged prior to the event, and winners notified and invited to attend the awards ceremony on the day of the event. The Arts Council will not show any objectionable works that would offend persons of any age, race, or religion. Works are screened by the Executive Director or Arts Program Coordinator/Gallery Manager and shown at their discretion. The Arts Council of Montgomery hereby reserves the right to refuse to display any works deemed objectionable. The Learning Arts Center is open to all the public, with daily programs for youth and children.
- Voice: Perform 2 pieces (one classical and one sacred or musical theatre), not to exceed 4 minutes total. No pop tunes. Bring 3 additional photocopies of the score for judges. Must provide own accompaniment (CD or live, if other device, must provide adequate speakers). No vocal backgrounds.
- Guitar: (guitar, mandolin, dulcimer, banjo, lute, zither, harp, etc.) Perform 1 piece not to exceed 4 minutes. Bring 3 additional photocopies of the score for judges.
- Instrumental: (brass, woodwinds, percussion) Perform 1 piece not to exceed 4 minutes. Bring 3 additional photocopies of the score for judges.
- Piano: (provided on location) Perform 1 piece with a broad degree of difficulty, not to exceed 4 minutes, or two 2 contrasting pieces not to exceed 2 minutes each. Bring 3 additional photocopies of the score for judges.
- Strings: (violin, viola, cello, bass, fiddle) Perform 1 piece not to exceed 4 minutes. Bring 3 additional photocopies of the score for judges.
Dates & Deadlines:
- Visual / Performing Registration Deadline (visual artwork due at The Armory) – EXTENDED to Tuesday January 22nd!
- Visual / Performing Competition Event – auditions & awards ceremony – Saturday February 2nd
- Musical Competition Registration Deadline – Wednesday February 20th
- Musical Competition Event – auditions and awards ceremony – Saturday March 2nd
Prizes: Awards are given in the form of certificates and monetary vouchers. Awards are presented at the awards ceremony on the days of the events at both junior and senior high levels in each category. Certificates are presented to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and honorable mentions. Vouchers are presented with 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners’ certificates, and are to be used to further excel in his / her winning category (such as instruments, supplies, camps, lessons, etc.). Vouchers are to be used by the deadline printed on the voucher. Submit receipts and / or bills (via email or in person) with the awarded voucher to the Arts Council of Montgomery office; a check will be issued up to the voucher amount. Please contact the office prior to coming to arrange a good time to pick up the check.
High School (9th – 12th grades)
- 1st Place - $500 voucher
- 2nd Place - $300 voucher
- 3rd Place - $100 voucher
Junior High School (6th – 8th grades)
- 1st Place - $250 voucher
- 2nd Place - $150 voucher
- 3rd Place - $50 voucher
***On the registration form below: Select the appropriate event at the top of the registration form, and select the "category" at the bottom of the registration form. We automatically receive your registration and payment notifications.