Let us help you motivate your students to grow and learn through the pursuit of their artistic goals! The 34th Annual Artistic Competition for Exceptional Students (ACES) recognizes local 6th – 12th grade students who display talent in the musical or visual / performing arts. Visual, Performing, and Musical COMPETITIONS WILL BE VIRTUAL THIS YEAR.
34TH ANNUAL ARTISTIC COMPETITION FOR EXCEPTIONAL STUDENTS (ACES)
- Virtual Submissions: Midnight on Monday, February 21, 2022
- Virtual Awards: March 18, 2022, 9AM on The Arts Council of Montgomery’s Facebook page & website: https://artscouncilmontgomery.org
ENTRY FEES & GUIDELINES:
- Open to students who attend school, live, or take lessons in Montgomery, Autauga & Elmore counties.
- Students may register for more than one category. $10 for one category, $15 for two categories, $20 for three or more categories. Visual Art allows for ONE submission per student for $10. We reserve the right to change or cancel categories if necessary, to accommodate the program. Entry fees are non-refundable. If we cancel, we refund.
- Armory Learning Arts Center’s music studio & piano are available by reservation only, and at no charge for student audition recording.
- As a participant of this program, your name/photograph/video may be used for publicity.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
Auditions must be submitted as You Tube or Vimeo links. Upload of sheet music will be required for all musical and voice submissions, and monologue upload will be required for acting submissions. Have audition link or visual art jpg file ready to submit at the time of registration. The form does not allow for saving and continuing.
- ACTING/THEATRE: Perform one dramatic or comedic monologue not to exceed 3 minutes. Submissions will be judged on appearance and attire, selection of material, control and flow of piece, speech and use of voice, dynamics and use of body and space.
- DANCE: Perform a 1-3 minute dance piece of any style. Submission judged on technical ability, appearance, use of space, showmanship, personality, and dynamics.
- GUITAR: (guitar, mandolin, dulcimer, banjo, harp, etc.) Perform one piece not less than 1 minute in length. Submission judged on tone, technique, interpretation, choice of music, discipline, and appearance.
- INSTRUMENTAL: (brass, woodwinds, and percussion) Perform one piece not less than 1 minute in length. Submission judged on tone, technique, interpretation, choice of music, discipline, and appearance.
- PIANO: Perform one piece with a broad degree of difficulty, not less than 1 minute in length. Submission will be judged on interpretation, technique, choice of music, stage presence, and appearance.
- STRINGS: (violin, viola, cello, bass, fiddle, etc.) Perform one piece not less than 1 minute in length.. Submission will be judged on tone, technique, interpretation, choice of music, discipline, and appearance.
- VOICE: Perform one classical, sacred or musical theatre piece not less than 1 minute in length. No pop tunes. No vocal backgrounds. Submission will be judged on tone/intonation, diction, musical effect (artistry, fluency, vitality), appropriateness of musical selection, style, stage presence, discipline, and appearance.
- VISUAL ART: Original artwork as well as a digital image of your piece will be required for the competition. Please bring your original entry to 1018 Madison Avenue by February 25 for hanging. Use good quality images of original artwork for digital submission; Jpeg file no larger than 6MB. PLEASE use following format to name visual art image files: artist's first name, artist's last name, title of work, medium (example: john.smith.RiverBridge.acrylic)
Please be mindful that student’s instrument, hands, fingers are visible, and sound quality is good. Visual art images need to be in focus, well lit, and without glare. Armory Learning Arts Center’s music studio & piano are available by reservation only, and no charge for student audition recording.
See YouTube links of submission tutorials:
Awards are presented for junior & senior high in each category. Certificates and monetary vouchers must be used in his/her winning category (such as instruments, music, pointe shoes, camps, etc).
Senior High School (9th – 12th grades)
- 1st Place - $500 voucher
- 2nd Place - $300 voucher
- 3rd Place - $100 voucher
Junior High School (6th – 8th grades)
- 1st Place - $250 voucher
- 2nd Place - $150 voucher
- 3rd Place - $50 voucher
The Arts Council of Montgomery at the Montgomery Cultural Arts Center, formerly the Armory Learning Arts Center, by calling 334-625-ARTS (2787), or emailing Margaret Barber (Arts Program Coordinator) email@example.com